As part of the SMART CITY initiative, two settlements in Old Faridabad are slated for public realm improvements. These are the village of Fatehpur Chandela and the slum settlement of Sant Nagar. Both settlements have an approximate population of 10,000 each
In all, eight urban spaces will be renovated; seven in Fatehpur Chandela and one in Sant Nagar. The goal is to the give the villagers positive open spaces to socialize, recreate, and exercise. Working under LEA Associates, Roha is the urban designer on this project
- An Entrance Gate will be constructed to mark the identity of the village. An adjoining wall will be painted with an educational mural with a message of unity and progress.
- The Public School at Fatehpur will be renovated. Classrooms will be provided with furniture. New toilets will be provided. Play equipment will be provided for the children. An assembly area with a stage will be built. Horticulture improvements will include new lawns, boundary trees and shrubs and accent planting in select locations.
- A new Youth Chaupal will be built to replace the current broken one. This will be shaded by a “chhatri” type structure for all weather protection.
- The Central Chaupal will be provided by a shade gazebo that also houses a water ATM.
- The Piao will be provided with a water ATM. In addition, seat walls will be built and a watering trough will be provided for animals. This provision does not exist in the village currently.
- The Temple Plaza will be improved with paving, trees, benches and a mural wall. These improvements will make it a vibrant gathering spot
- The current open space known as the Barat Ghar is broken and lacking the sense of a public amenity. It will receive a new boundary wall to keep animals out. A shade gazebo for gathering and a raised stage covered with a shade trellis will be built. This will give the village a place for celebrations and meetings. In addition, perimeter walk with shade trees and shrubs and central gathering lawn will make this lost space into a small green park. The Sant Nagar school will be given an alternative site and this site will be remade into a Public Square for celebrations and meetings. There will be a shade trellis and perimeter seat walls that will enclose the square. The lower sections of the site will be used to recharge the slum’s rainwater.
Village wide there will be three other main improvements.
- On the perimeter smart bins will be located for ease of trash collection and removal.
- Water ATMs will be provided in key open spaces within 5-minute walk from each house.
- The main streets of the village and slum will be painted in multicolours – each house being a different colour. This will give these settlements a sense of place and also allow for better way finding as each main street will lead you into the village from the four directions. Currently it is difficult to find one’s way in and out of the village, since all the streets are narrow and look the same.